Friday, July 17, 2009

Africanized Killer Mosquitos

Lame seems to be my word of the day. Starting about 1 a.m. I woke up about every 15 minutes to look at the clock. I was terrified of sleeping in. Zandrea was going to be there to pick me up at 5 a.m. for our 1o miler. After about the 10th time waking up....I muttered "this is so lame!" When an email from my sister came through at 4:09 a.m., I replied saying "I'm up for the day, this is so lame." I smiled a little as I hit send. Zandrea text me at 5:01 a.m. to tell me she was on her way. I replied "This is so lame, what is wrong with you people!" I laughed as I hit send. 10 MILES TODAY!!!! I can't say it was one of those runs that just felt great. Breathing was easy, my muscles felt great, but the joints were feeling it. I did learn a very valuable lesson today.....Mosquitoes love Gatorade!!! Especially the africanized killer mosquitoes that dwell along the roadsides. Have you seen those things?!! It would only take about 3 of them to pick me up and carry me off! I figure in the last month, I have literally drank about 30 gallons of Gatorade. That stuff is flowing through my veins. We stopped at our water bottles to rehydrate and I was instantly swarmed with massive mosquitoes that eat regular size mosquitoes for breakfast. They LOVED ME and just turned up their noses at Zandrea. I kept swatting and ordering poor Zandrea to "KILL THEM....GET THEM!!!" I started running and squealing still swatting like a mad woman. One that had already latched on, was still clinging for dear life about 1/2 mile later, but I'd managed to outrun the rest. Talk about a close call......I'd hate to think about what would have happened if I wasn't such a speed demon.

7/23/09 Since my original diatribe about africanized killer mosquitoes, Zandrea pointed out that she has 8 mosquito bites and she has drank A LOT of Gatorade too. I think she was too busy killing mosquitoes on me, to notice she too was being swarmed. Don't I have the best running partner ever!! My theory still stands.....mosquitoes love Gatorade. :)

Nissa

2 comments:

  1. good thing I was there to help swat, it's kinda hard to hit when you have a gatorade bottle in you hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to add an addendum to this...I did get bitten....helloooo, 9 bites, all on the backs of my legs.

    ReplyDelete